[pct-l] Simplifying Meal Preparation

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Tue Sep 19 09:23:37 CDT 2006

I've suggested this before so don't roll your eyes at the repetition.
Mealpack bars at http://mealpack.com/ are my favorite food while
hiking.  Each bar is just under 4 oz and packs about 410 to 440
calories.  Check out the website for more specs.

I planned to eat four a day last year on my long section hike summer and
ended up eating three a day.  Another good food (as well as those
already mentioned) is far east mix - if you have a good natural foods
store near you you can find many different kinds.  It's not too hard to
put together a cookless system that is nutritious and filling as well.
And I can atest to how nice it is not to bother with stove and fuel.

I do think stoveless hiking makes the margin for error in regards to
hypothermia a little tighter though.  You have to rely that much more on
your experience rather than gear...

Jeff, just Jeff...