[pct-l] alternatives to a tent?

Fuzz McPherson fuzzmcpherson at yahoo.com
Mon May 4 12:44:20 CDT 2009

Hey, everyone.  I just dread having to get the poles out, unfold the tent, put it together, wonder whether I can stake the thing in or whether I'll hit rocks, etc....  then put it all back in the pouch, etc. etc. etc.

What do you no-tent-carrying individuals use when you do use something cause you know it's gonna rain or you don't want to get eaten by mosquitoes?

This is what I have put together a mini kit of lightweight, on-sale cheap-o stuff to use instead of a tent and see how I like it.  Here's what I got:

1)  Stadium seat type pad (no frame) on sale for about $11 instead of a sleeping pad.  I can use it for some pad by laying it flat and it still doubles as a padded seat to sit up against a tree or whatever.

2)  Mosquito net enclosure for about $7.

3)  Thin climbing style rope (I forgot how much, but I got about very approx roughly maybe $20 worth)

4)  Rain fly from another tent that I sprayed a few times with waterproofing stuff

It's light, not flashy, and is easy to pack and unpack and it's CHEAP.