[pct-l] Washington Trailhead Transportation?

Tom Griffin griffin at u.washington.edu
Thu May 31 20:04:00 CDT 2007

The Greyhound doesn't stop at Snoqualmie Pass anymore. The Seattle area
bus system stops at North Bend, about 20 miles west of the pass on I-90.
So getting public transportation to Snoqualmie Pass is tricky.

If you are arriving at Sea-Tac Airport, you can take the Airporter bus
to Cle Elum, 30 miles east of the pass. If the driver is kind, he can
let you off at the pass rather than Cle Elum, even though it is against
"regulations." I know of PCT hikers who were able to do this and others
who went to Cle Elum and then had to hitch back to the pass. Here is a
link to the airporter site

http://www.airporter.com/shuttle/cle-elum-to-seatac-airport-seattle

You can't hitch ON the freeways, but you can hitch on a ramp. At Stevens
Pass, Hwy 2 is NOT a freeway, so you can hitch wherever you want. The
Dinsmores (Skykomish trail angels) can tell you more about hitching on
Hwy 2, but I've heard it is not that difficult.

Of course, the connections from Manning back to the States are easy.
Here is a link to my trip report from last year where we finished a
section hike at Manning and rode Greyhound and Amtrak back to Seattle.

http://griffinte.home.comcast.net/pct2006/index.html

Tom "Bulfrog" Griffin
Seattle
PCT Pages: http://griffinte.home.comcast.net/pct.html