[pct-l] request for advice or help

cmkudija at ca.rr.com cmkudija at ca.rr.com
Thu May 31 20:42:29 CDT 2007

Denis,

Well, of course you're mad.  From our perspective in California, you spend
your time walking upside-down.  If that's not mad.... ;-)

But seriously, the Horseshoe Meadows campgrounds might be open by June 6th
and be populated with early-season fisher-folk.    This is a link to Inyo
National Forest's "current conditions" page - but it has not been updated
since May 7th.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/rec-reports/south.shtml .  You might
be able to get a ride from someone, at least down to Lone Pine.   There you
might be able to hitch to the junction with the Kennedy Meadows Road - the
CREST bus service doesn't seem to run on weekends
http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/CRESTpage.htm  but I seem to recall that
there is someone in Lone Pine or Independence who operates an independent
taxi-like service - you might search the archives for this info, or some
helpful soul will re-post the info.   It seems to me that the most
challenging part would be hitching into Kennedy Meadows - although on a
Saturday, it might be more promising than most.

Sorry - the most challenging part will be driving back to San Francisco
while staying awake. Fortunately, there's lots of rest areas & fast-food
stops along I-5.

At least last year, our Verizon cell phone didn't work at Horseshoe Meadows.

I know this isn't much help - I just had a conversation with my husband,
though - and if you're really stuck for ideas before you leave, email me off
list.  We need a Sierra fix anyway, and might be able to meet you at
Horseshoe Meadows/Trail Pass trailhead and take you to Kennedy (we live
about 3 hours south of Lone Pine...)

Christine "Ceanothus" Kudija
PCT partially '94

www.pcta.org
Join Now!

Ceanothus (see-ah-no-thus) or California lilac:  Shrubs or small trees,
often with divaricate, sometimes spiny, twigs...[flowers] small but showy,
white to blue or purplish, sometimes lavender or pinkish, borne in terminal
or lateral panicles or umbellike cymes.
                                                               Philip A.
Munz
                                                               A California