[pct-l] Simplifying Meal Preparation

Jim Keener jlkeener at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 18 23:37:15 CDT 2006

Greetings:

I noticed that I have much less energy left at the end
of a hiking day than others appear to have. And that's
not surprising, as I'm 62. So I'm experimenting with
ways to simplify the hiking day - trying to eliminate
as many activities as possible apart from the joy of
walking. And the thing I'm looking at now is food and
food preparation. One of the ways to simplify food
prep is to eliminate cooking.

I tried Pop-Tarts in 2004. Wretched. Cardboard with
sweetened spray paint. But I have no ideas at all for
dinner.

What, you might say, is my point? I'm looking for
breakfast and dinner ideas which require no cooking,
none at all. Please let me know what your experience
has been. Have you tried no-cooking-required meals?
And if so, would you do it again - and for an extended
hike?

Thanks,
J J