[pct-l] Vasquez Rocks

Bill Burge bill at burge.com
Thu May 28 13:31:16 CDT 2009

Nah, it wasn't like that.  I drove them to REI the next day.

They walked over and JOKINGLY said, "we're the extras you called
for..." because a group filming an episode of Monk would never have
need three smelly, dirty guys with big packs.

The filming crew said something to the effect of "are you guys PCT
hikers?  Would you like something to eat?"  And it went from there...
It was actually the crew being very cool.  I think some of the crew
had spoke with other hikers coming through in the days previous and
heard the stories of dust, heat and eating Snickers and mac&cheese for
days on end.

These guys were not mooching.  When I drove them to REI, one guy made
it clear that if wanted to pay for my gas at the pump, I was gonna
have to wrestle him for it (hey! Burning Daylight! ;-) and another
bought my lunch when I took them to the all-you-can eat pasta place
even though I said "NO" (thanks Chase! :-).  Good guys - solid -
straight up.

BillB