[pct-l] Section D (PCTAtlas) hike and water report

Paul Cronshaw beemancron at hotmail.com
Wed May 27 01:45:07 CDT 2009

Over Memorial Day weekend, Bill and I hiked from San Grogonio Pass to Hwy 18 (Section D in Erik the Black's PCT Atlas). The mileage made for a perfect 3 day hike itinerary.
It was a long 7300 foot elevation gain; fortunately the hot desert weather was replaced by some nice cool mountain temps.
We met a number of thru hikers, including “Dirt”. Later we found out that his real trailname was DERT = “Distance Equals Rate Times Time”.
My water report:
5/23

222.0 Whitewater River just n. of Red Dome - LOTS of water.
226 E.Fork Mission Creek water (2-4ft across)
226.9 End of Dirt Road water (2-4 ft across)

5/24

231.8 N and S Mission Creek Crossing  water
235 Creekside Camp water (Approx 1 foot across)
238  Forested Flats junction water (6” across water)
239.3 Mission Crk Trail Camp Blue bucket full of nice clear spring water

5/25

251.9 Onyx Summit cache.  Supplied by Nature’s Inn
255.9 Arrastre Trail Camp.  Water in faucet (lift handle) and stream all the way down to Road 2N04.
265.4 Hwy 18 water cache.   Supplied by Nature’s Inn

Some pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/beemancron/PCTSectionCI10ToHwy18#
Happy Trails
The Beeman