[pct-l] We Were Just Kids....(an old Marine's reflections)

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Tue May 26 13:12:08 CDT 2009

Amazing,
A similar thing happened to us.
We went to Vietnam in a huge convoy during the big build up when the
whole 1st Marine Division was shipped out in 1965.
We stopped in Hawaii for a few days for supplies and had one day of
shore liberty.
Of course what do Marines do on liberty, when they are about to be send
into harms way?.........They get drunk....that's what they do.
The only problem, the bartenders asked for I. D.......You know the rest
of the story.
So, like you,  we wound up on the beach drinking.......and no, it was
not coconut milk......although next morning  we wished
we would have been drinking coconut milk.
Funny, how servicemen have so many similar experiences.

JMT Reinhold
------------------------------------

Randy wrote:
The subject of old enough to die, but not old enough to drink hits home
with me. I was carded at my own promotion party to SSgt. I had been in
the service for 3.5 years and had served three tours in Southeast Asia.
One in Viet Nam and two in Thailand. I was on leave at the time and had
taken a hop to Hawaii with a couple of buddies from my squadron,
including a grizzled old Master Sergeant that proceeded to dress down
the Bartender for carding me..but to no avail..rules were rules..We just
moved the party to a beach after stopping at a liquor store.. It was
weird...being treated like a kid after what we went through...Never
forgot it... Redwood 16th SOS, USAF