[pct-l] Welcome to the "Pct-l" mailing list

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sun May 24 23:48:55 CDT 2009

I have hiked the JMT  many times and, like you, usually start in August
which, in my opinion, is the best time...most of the mosquitoes and snow
is gone by that time and the river crossings are no problem.
That early in the season they may need to be prepared for much snow.
Mammoth Mountain still has 3-6 feet of snow above 9000 feet, but it is
melting fast.
If their schedule is flexible, I would highly recommend they start a
month later.

JMT Reinhold
--------------------------------------

Steve wrote:
I'm looking for advice to pass on to a family member about hiking the
John Muir Trail in early season. Two inexperienced young men want to
start the hike on June 20 th from Yosemite valley. My concern is the
snow and especially the river crossings they will encounter along the
way. All the guide books I have read caution about the high water
levels. I have hiked the trail twice in August, many years ago, but
can't give them any actual info. about what they will encounter in the
early season. Any specific information about this issue would be
appreciated. steve