[pct-l] Cascade trail and the country store

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Sun May 24 09:45:43 CDT 2009

On May 24, 2009, at 10:31 AM, Bob Bankhead wrote:
> Cascade Valley Trail is mentioned on page 326 of Schaffer's Southern
> CA PCT Guidebook, but the route is not detailed.
>
> "Alternate route: Via the PCT, you are now 19 miles from the Rainbow
> Falls trailhead parking lot near Reds Meadow. Via the Cascade Valley-
> Fish Creek-Rainbow Falls Trail, you are 19.4 miles from it. Some
> backpackers who aren't committed to following the PCT every step of
> the way prefer this lower, easier, mostly downhill, less crowded
> route. Camping opportunities are greater and, if you're experiencing
> bad weather, you'll find this lower, well-forested route far more
> hospitable."

I did this route in 2002 and enjoyed it.  They only concern is that
there are a couple of fords that I found more difficult than anything
on the PCT (in 2002).  I wouldn't call them 'dangerous' but the water
was deeper than Evolution or Bear Creek hitting my upper thighs in
late afternoon, which is when you get to them if you are heading out
of VVR in the morning. The last crossing of Fish Creek (heading north)
is on a bridge though--this is between the Iva Bell Hot Springs and
Red's Meadow.  The fords are before you get to the Hot Springs (again,
traveling 'PCT north').

> I will send you the maps via a separate email. This trail also goes
> past a hot springs which I'm told is quite popular with both people
> and bears.

And bare people!