[pct-l] Road to VVR

Ken Murray kmurray at pol.net
Sat May 23 23:42:48 CDT 2009

I'll be thru-hiking the JMT (Southbound) this July.  My wife is
planning on driving to meet me for a resupply and zero-day at VVR.
My question to the list is, "what's the road like going in from
Madera, CA?"  Can she drive her BMW 3-series, or is this a jeep
road?  What was your experience driving in to VVR?
Regards,
Tim A. (Placerville, CA)

The road is mostly paved.  There is about 4 miles of non-paved road, but that is generally in good condition.  The main problem that people have, is that in places, it is one lane, and you have to pay attention to opposite traffic.

I've driven this road quite a few times in a VERY low clearance sports car (Nissan 300ZX), with no problem.  One just needs to slow down on the rougher segments, and it goes fine.  The BMW should do fine.