[pct-l] Getting Useful Info Out of the PCT-L.

Sean Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Sat May 23 16:46:17 CDT 2009

I joined the list around fall of 2006 as I was thinking of hiking in 2007 (though it took until 2009 to actually get out).  I quickly learned that receiving every post via email didn't work as there was too much junk.  I tried the daily digest for awhile but even that became a chore to read through.

But once I turned off receiving all emails from the list and started reading the list via the archives at http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/ , the list started working for me.  I could still send in new posts via email and  I could pick and choose what topics and authors I wanted to read every day (or even evey couple of hours) and find what I wanted and ignore the rest.

The list has proven quite useful to me in starting my hike this year, but to make it that way I had to turn to a non traditional way of using it that never occurs to most people.

-Miner