[pct-l] The International PCT-L

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sat May 23 07:22:24 CDT 2009

Hey Mountaingoat,
Sorry about the late response, I have been out skiing the Sierra a lot.
I agree with you 100%....I also would not want the list any other way.
And yes, the appeal of this list transcends our borders.
In 2007, on the eve of one of my JMT fast packs, I met Cyrille Soulas "French Bob" from Paris on
top of Mt Whitney.
French Bob had just finished a SOB JMT and stayed the night in the Whitney hut, as did I.
We shared many tales and had a great time together on top of Mt. Whitney.
One thing that I really remember about our conversation is that he is a list lurker and really
enjoys the humor Switchback and I inject into the list.
I have met many hikers on the trail that feel that way and the fact that I received 34 private
off list e-mails in support of the recent controversy vs only 5 negative and 3 neutral, supports
my contention that the silent majority, which prefers to stay out of these cat fights, is not
opposed to a little humor on the list, but is outshouted by the noisy, verbal minority.

French Bob is a hard core backpacker who has hiked many places including the Pyrenees, the Grand
Canyon and thru-hiked the PCT 3-4 years ago and is as nice a person you could possibly meet.
French bob has a great picture gallery....if you are interested the following are the links.

<http://picasaweb.google.com/cyrille.soulas/LesPyrNEsAvecUnNeJuillet2008>
<http://picasaweb.google.com/cyrille.soulas/LesPyrNEsAvecUnNeJuillet2008#slideshow>

Bob also created a masterpiece DVD of his 2007 JMT hike...the only problem it's in French and
I do not speak French, but it is so good that I don't really care.
Some day I will get a burner and burn some copies for those who would like a copy.

Does anybody know French Bob?

Like you said Mountaingoat, this list transcends our borders and there is nothing wrong with it.
The only thing wrong with this list is that we have a few individuals that that won't accept the
fact that the list represents, as you say, "a multitude of viewpoints and attitudes and the
balance is, overall, pretty decent".

JMT Reinhold
------------------------------------

The Mountaingoat wrote:

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to say hi and remind readers, after the recent spurts of
controversy, that there are still a lot of readers besides those regular
posters who do value the content and varied viewpoints found in this list. I
happen to be reading here in Australia, and every morning and evening I tune
in to glean useful info and - yes - occasional doses of (sometimes
off-colour) humour. If I do it any less regularly, it backs up to an
intimidating degree. I always enjoy sifting through the submissions and
already feel like I know some of the contributors.

I will be trying a PCT thru-hike next year (after my fair share of injuries
on past hikes in your country, I no longer say "will be thru-hiking" since
it only tempts the gods to knock me down a notch or two for my impertinence)
and can't wait. It's going to be incredible. Meanwhile I am making a lot of
my own gear, reading up, daydreaming to a dangerous degree and delving
regularly herein - and I have already learned a lot from this list. I am an
AT and LT thru-hiker (though said injuries really meant I did the AT in two
massive sections, two years apart in 2004-2006) and I try to do a
multi-month trip every two years. I get hurt sometimes but I always go back
and keep on plugging. Since gravitating inevitably towards lightweight
hiking things have gotten a lot better in so many ways. I will always be
grateful for the Jardines for helping elucidate my hiking philosophy and
providing much food for thought.

It's true that there is sometimes stuff on here that merits a quick delete -
but I wouldn't want it any other way. There is a place in hiking, as
everywhere, for a multitiude of viewpoints and attitudes, as long as they're
respectful. I would rather have an assortment of odd stuff getting through
than a sterile/boring "information only" forum. I think the balance is,
overall, pretty decent.

Just wanted to let you know that the appeal of this list transcends your
borders. It's as worthwhile and relevant for me as any other hiking
resource. I've had a lot of great times walking in America and made a lot of
great friends over there. Keep it up, I say!

~ Mr Mountaingoat, Brisbane

And That's All the Goat Wrote