[pct-l] hunting and hiking

Marion Davison mardav at charter.net
Fri May 22 02:00:27 CDT 2009

I will concur. I too am scared of the hunters.  I took a hunter safety
course with my Scout troop when they were working on a rifle merit
badge.  The one thing I remember from the course, some 25 years ago,
were all the horrible stories of people who were killed by others who
didn't know what they were aiming at.
When my husband and I were talking about guns on the trail a few days
ago, I brought that up--that I would not want to be shooting at a bear
in the dark--I might hit something/someone else unintentionally.  As
they said in the class--don't shoot if you don't know your backstop.
Mtned quoted me in a recent posting, but he didn't tell the whole story.
  Yes, a bear stalked my llamas in the night (this has happened several
times) but he didn't include that I chased off the bear each time by
throwing rocks and yelling vociferously.  I will stick with my wrist
rocket slingshot, as recommended by the Yosemite backcountry bear ranger
at the time.  That particular ranger really wanted me to convince the
problem bear that he doesn't want to mess with me and my llamas, but
without resorting to lethal force.  I won't vouch for any other ranger's
opinion on this matter, as each seems to hold his/her own opinion on the
matter.
I do think that I should have some means of defending the lives of my
stock.  Since they won't let me bring my herd dog into the park, a
slingshot will have to do.  Everywhere else I hike, I take a dog and
never see or hear any bears.
In Texas (and maybe other states) the hiking trails in state parks are
CLOSED during deer hunting season.
On the lighter side, we were hiking the South Fork Meadows trail in the
San Gorgonio wilderness one day in the fall, doing an in-and-out day
hike.  On the way out we came upon three hunters hunkered over the trail
in deep conversation.  When we walked up to them they looked at us and
our llamas and burst out laughing.  One said, "We thought we were
tracking the three biggest elk in the wilderness!"
Some hunters use llamas to pack out their kills.  The llama gear
suppliers actually sell blaze orange neck wraps for the llamas to wear
so they won't be shot at.
A few years ago we were hiking the PCT in section C near Silverwood.
Some people had driven up close to the trail and were plinking at some
old appliances.  The PCT was their backstop!  We could not proceed.  Ray
whipped out his cell phone and called the sheriff.  The Sheriff
helicopter arrived in about ten minutes, hovered over the shooters and
ordered them to leave.  They piled into their truck and sped off,
followed by the helicopter, and were pulled over by a cruiser when they
hit the highway.  We watched from the hillside, cheering.  Sometimes you
win one.....
If you are hiking during hunting season, be careful out there....