[pct-l] Rather funny.. :), and realistic advice

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu May 21 16:35:46 CDT 2009

On May 21, 2009, at 12:45 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> But this is what I want to say, once again, when so few finish the
> whole
> trail in one season compared to the mass that starts out each
> Spring, does
> that say that the rest were not thoroughly enough acquainted with the
> realities of the adventure, what the trials will be?

> The subject of weapons in the woods relates to such preparation
> advise.

I don't know of a single person who failed to complete the trail
because they did not have adequate weapons. I think people who quit
the trail within the first 500 miles usually do so because of injury
and those that quit around mile 1000+ usually do so because of injury
or because it's a heck of a long way and maybe 1000+ miles is enough.

I have not read the thread on guns. I don't intend to continue to
read it, either, should it continue. Whatever anybody's position on
it is, I would rather believe that nobody I meet on the trail has
one, and I do not want to know about it if you do.

(I also don't read threads from certain cads on the list, either, so
don't worry that I've singled any individual or topic out here.)