[pct-l] Belden Closure

Meridith Rosendahl mrosendahl at digitalpath.net
Thu May 21 12:08:31 CDT 2009

> Message: 13
> Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 08:20:29 EDT
> From: Trekker4 at aol.com
> Subject: Re: [pct-l] Belden closure
> To: pct-l at backcountry.net
>
> I have no  idea who sent me this:
>    There's no fire burning in that stretch...at  least not at this precise
> moment, so you're in no danger of burning to  death.  It would seem to me
> that the sound of chainsaws, axes and such  would be noticeable > They've
> published no detour or walkaround  details, so how can the trail be
> closed? Besides, if one walks just off the  trail, is that walking on the
> trail? Is it illegal to walk beside a closed  trail? Who owns that forest
> anyhow? Just a taxpayer/owner askin'  questions...

If you're referring to the message I sent to my daughter, Piper, with a copy
to pct-l, I'll fess up.  The trail is indeed closed and has been so since
the fires last summer.  They just haven't gotten around to cleaning up all
the large fallen trees covering the trail and the weakened trees in danger
of falling now (there's a name for the dangerous ones but I forget...).
Indeed, the representative of the Plumas Nat'l Forest was surprised that
they were behind Lassen Nat'l Forest in getting their portion of the trail
opened, but that's another subject.

The good news is that crews are now or shortly will be out on the trail -
yes with chainsaws and such - cleaning up the mess.  I have a feeling they
don't particularly want people wandering around in the area while they're
felling dead/dangerous trees and removing hazards and blockages from the
trail.  Your taxpayer money, and the volunteer taxpayers who are saving you
money by helping clear the trail are or shortly will be at work.  If for
some reason you have to hike *right this minute* I doubt they'd shoot you,
but you might get a ticket?  If you can hold out another few weeks, your
trail will be open and ready for you to use.  I hope you'll see the glass as
half full...

Piper's Mom