[pct-l] Watch for falling trees

Tobin Van Pelt tobin.van.pelt at mac.com
Thu May 21 03:43:14 CDT 2009

While on the topic of witnessing falling trees ... I thought that I
would quickly share my falling tree experience.

A good friend and I were hiking the AT in North Carolina in 1995 when
we stopped off trail at a small water source to fill up.  It was
completely still and there was no wind.  We sat quiet drinking our
water ... when no more than 30 feet away we heard an enormous crack.
A tree close to 30" diameter started falling .... slow at first ...
then faster making an enormous crash.

Fortunately, it fell away from us.  Neither of us said much and just
looked at each other in dismay and wonder.  To this day we relish that
amazing experience of having been right on top of that tree when it
went ... especially since there was no apparent cause such as wind.
It was a very large oak as I recall and was very likely in excess of a
100 years old.  It was quite an amazing experience.

Rocket Man