[pct-l] weapons question answered

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Wed May 20 21:13:22 CDT 2009

To reassure Brick that I was not trying to start a flame war, and to end the discussion, I did get an answer to the original question of why are weapons not allowed in the Parks while they are in the Forests:

**

"Not sure if you were just enjoying the discussion, or actually wanted an answer, but just in case you did want an answer:

"I'm a National Park Service brat - grew up in Yellowstone and Sequoia Kings Canyon. At that time the two services had drastically different missions. The Forest Service is under the Dept of Agriculture, and is all about management of resources. The National Park Service is under Dept of Interior, and its original mission was preservation - a museum of times past. They are a little picky about someone destroying their exhibits - the bears. The Forest Service looks at the bear as just another resource to be managed. In both services, they want their visitors to have a good experience, but I think the Forest Service looks at a visitor like a business looks at a customer: whatever makes you happy. The National  Park Service looks at a visitor like a docent or guard in a museum: look, but don't damage the exhibit. "

This is all I was after....

Mtnned