[pct-l] The weapons question

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Wed May 20 12:10:34 CDT 2009

Late last night I wrote an email to a friend that I want to share here.

I refer to one attack that happened to me early in 1974 and partially
re-tell of another that happened later that summer. If I had not had those
experiences, especially the one which was physical, my thoughts or questions
on this subject would be more theoretical rather than practical. When I
worked as a Backcountry Wilderness Ranger for Sierra NF I associated with
many stock packers and public with horses and llamas and many of them were
responsibly armed to protect their animals. I didn't fear the weapon, I
trusted the person, got to know them, and it was forgotten. However, it was
reassuring to know that someone in the backcountry was around to protect me
with sufficient force should I need it. With the rise of the mountain lion
in the south and the grizzly and wolf in the north, the anti-weapons
question still doesn't make sense.
________________

If I had been attacked and mauled (or worse) back in '74, I would hope that
I would have had it within my rights to effectively and definitively fight
off my attacker. As it is now, I believe, if I were to shoot and/or kill a
legitimately attacking bear in a NP, I would be imprisoned, lose my freedom,
for doing so. In a NP I have greater fear because of just that possibility.

Later that same year I had a physical confrontation with another black bear
that wanted my pack in the middle of the night. To make a long story short
(one that I have written about before on this List), I actually hit that
bear with my palm and he ran away! Had he decided to strike back, I would
not be here today because I could not see him, only sense that he was near.

Weapons do not have to be of lethal force to be effective. As you pointed
out, a pepper-blaster might be handy in scaring a bear, lion, or wolf off
someone who is going through the horrors of an attack, but it may just piss
the animal off and make things worse for both victim and rescuer. But
less-than-lethal force is a good place to start, regarding any attack, human
or animal. However, should that line of defense or rescue fail and things go
from bad to worse, at least having the legal option of utilizing lethal
force if necessary would still be there as back-up.

It would be horrific to hear an attack happening at a campsite not far from
yours and you have nothing within your powers to help save the life of the
man, woman, or child victim. If I were being attacked, I would want my
rescuer to have everything at his disposal to drive off or kill the animal
that is tearing the flesh off my living, breathing, conscious body and
shaking me to death. If I were the rescuer, it would be equally horrific (I
can't even imagine it) to helplessly watch another man, woman, or child be
torn apart before my eyes while hearing the screams and pleas and I could do
nothing definitive, even if it just pissed off the attacking animal. If I
wish to be helpless in the grip of my predator, that is my choice, but I do
not wish to deny the right to life of another nor to deny my rescuer the
ability to save me, even if that means to do so may not be definitively
effective or that I may be killed by their efforts. It is their right to try
to save me.

It amazes me how naive and idealistic people have become. In our efforts to
save lives, we attempt to remove the current weapon of choice only to find
that man still kills man by another method. Take away the gun and he will
use the arrow. Take away the arrow and he will use the dart. Remove the dart
and he will use the knife. Remove the knife and he will use the club. When
the club is gone, he will use his hands. Its not the weapon, its the
thoughts and intents of the heart. In our efforts to legislate human safety,
supported by logic, science, and reason, we have forgotten the truths of
how.

Oh, well. Can't hurt to ask....

Ned

p.s.: Bill, where do I get that dehydrated club, from the Pirate?