[pct-l] 100 miles in early june

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Tue May 19 14:07:45 CDT 2009

Hi, Alec!

The melt is happening very quickly, now. The creeks in the Tahoe area are very full and moving fast.

I'll wander up to Echo sometime soon and give the List a report on the snow depth at the Chalet and Docks.

As I said to another "Alec," if you plan to cross snowfields in the early morning while they are still hard and get below them for the rest of the day, you won't need snowshoes, just be careful about slipping on the climbs and descents without an axe or Whippet pole.

Probably the biggest danger out there right now isn't the snow but is the creek-crossings. Since so many of the current Class is able to access the Net from their off-trail destinations, I'll post our recommendations regarding safe crossings in a separate post.

However, your snowshoe selection is a good one. Don't purchase a shoe that has its deck webbing wrapped around the peripheral frame as it will quickly abrade away and you'll be stuck in the backcountry with broken shoes.

For maps you sound prepared. The guidebook is a must, but you should have something that covers the trail routes out to the sides to civilization. For gps advise, since we don't ascribe to that style of route-finding, I would have to defer to Postholer or the List in general.

If you plan to stay on or follow the JMT or PCT, you won't be making the first tracks, however you'll have to decide if the tracks you're following are going the right way. Just because the "herd" went that way doesn't mean that's right. Always know your topographic route when the trail is under snow.

Mtnned