[pct-l] Phone service

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Sun May 17 12:06:47 CDT 2009

AFAIK, all the national plans offer nation wide calling as long as you
can connect with their network no matter where in the US you live.
Rates vary with plan and roaming (out of local area) can be high.

If you want a cell phone for just your hikes, look into the prepaid
plans -- some have low monthly fees but relatively high per minute
fees.  But if the phone is only for urgent needs and to occasionally
tell someone back home that your are OK or update you shipments, this is
probably the best option.

Something else to check out -- look into the calling cards available in
many stores. You can use them with any land-line including pay phones
(if you can find one) and not worry about running up someone else's
phone bill or reimbursing them.

Tortoise

<> He who finishes last, wins! <>