[pct-l] Cell Phones

Trekker4 at aol.com Trekker4 at aol.com
Fri May 15 10:08:41 CDT 2009

On the PCT I've been able to connect with 2 bars of  signal strength, with
nothing but forested ridges in all directions and no  valleys in sight; I've
also been unable to connect with 5 bars of signal  strength, on a high,
bare ridge with miles of valleys in sight. There is no  rhyme or reason - and
no point in worrying, planning, or even thinking about it.  Your phone and
your carrier will connect sometime, somewhere, and some how, all  at a place
and time of their choosing.
    The signal strength your phone shows is based on  your phone's reading
of the strength it's receiving from a tower or towers. Your  phone's
transmit power is feeble, .3 watt or something like that. The wind  will blow that
away, almost. If you connect, and want to send Pocketmail or  journal stuff;
stand still and pray the signal doesn't blow away while you're  doing so.
    Take a phone if you want, but don't worry about it  otherwise. There
are more important things to worry about, like how far it is to  the next pint
of Haagen-Dazs or Ben & Jerry's - or for some the next pint of  "tasty
beverage".

Bob  "Trekker"
Big Bend Desert Denizen, and...
Naturalized Citizen - Republic  of Texas

In a message dated 5/14/2009 5:19:25 P.M. Central Daylight Time,