[pct-l] Watch for falling trees

Trekker4 at aol.com Trekker4 at aol.com
Wed May 13 09:37:01 CDT 2009

On the AT in Georgia, in 1980, I heard that  cracking sound at night, in my
tent, in a storm. I instinctively put my arms  over my head. The next
morning there was a tree across a dirt road about a  hundred yards away, and
slightly above the shelter which I was tented near (no  room in the inn).
    Another time on the AT, I was walking along, head  down and minding my
own business, heard that cracking sound, and looked up to  watch a 5 inch
branch crash just off the trail, about 15 feet ahead of me. There  was no
wind, and had been no rain; it was time for that branch to fall.
    In 2005, on the PCT, I was sitting on a break,  heard a loud cracking
sound, and looked up to see one trunk of a two trunk,  medium size tree very
slowly (at least ten seconds) topple to the ground,  hitting no other trees.
Again there was no wind, and had been no rain; it was  just time - that
last microbe ate through the last wood molecule holding the  live trunk up; the
dead trunk was the one that remained standing. It was a  wonderful
experience in the sense that I instantly knew it was no danger to  me; one sees
thousands of trees across the trail, but that one just missed the  trail. Last
summer I reported hundreds to the PCTA, including the  multi-hundred pileup
on the N side of ?, just before Sisters Mirror Lake. One  never sees one
fall; I had the camera up, turned on, and the lens cap off in  that ten seconds,
but missed the photo by 2-3 more seconds.

Bob  "Trekker"
Big Bend Desert Denizen, and...
Naturalized Citizen - Republic  of Texas

In a message dated 5/12/2009 2:43:40 P.M. Central Daylight Time,