[pct-l] Feeding the troll

Sara Dyehouse saradyehouse at yahoo.com
Wed May 13 07:09:18 CDT 2009

If you come home one day and find, say, an alligator in your swimming pool (I live in Florida, so the analogy works for me), would you leave it there and simply erect a sign that says, "Don't feed the alligator"?  Or would you solicit a professional to remove the alligator (relocate, not destroy), so that you could enjoy your pool in relative safety?

Trolls continue to be trolls, because they are allowed to be trolls.  They victimize because they are allowed to victimize.

I absolutely LOVE this listserv.  I have learned a lot.  I have also enjoyed having a community of people who share a common interest:  hiking (in general) and hiking the PCT (more specifically).  But I've about had enough of the troll.  He's allowed to post indiscriminately, without recourse, whereas I've been censored.  During the recent controversy, one or more of my responses never posted.  I assume the administrator shut down the threads before my posts actually made the list.  I had spent time and energy writing what I thought were thoughtful posts, only to have them deleted before they made it to the list.  And yet the troll gets to post whatever he wants to, whenever he wants to.  I don't get it.