[pct-l] Horse at Fish Creek

Amanda L Silvestri aslive at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 11 10:16:25 CDT 2009

I was training Sunday and hiked from Fish Creek up into Mt. San Gorgonio (south of Big Bear). There were only a few patches of snow and frozen streems at 9000 feet.

As I arrived, I met Sailor, who told me about a thru-rider whose horse had been injured earlier in the day, along the trail going up to Fish Creek.  The rider and her husband had left for help and Sailor's husband, who she said knows about horses, was staying with the horse back on the trail.  There was nothing for me to do at that point as help had already been sent for, so I did my hike.  When I returned the camp site was vacant.  I am wondering what happened.  Did the horse recover, or as there are no roads that access that section of the trail, did they have to use a helicopter to lift the horse out of there?  Has anyone heard about this?  I don't know the name of the rider.

Shepherd