[pct-l] WTA on Suiattle River Crossing repair

Marion Davison mardav at charter.net
Sun May 10 15:40:42 CDT 2009

Jeffrey Olson wrote:
> On a side note I hiked down from Horseshoe Meadows over Trail Pass to
> the Kern River last summer.  ON the last 900' drop to the river my
> friend and I were amazed to see a white helicopter make its way up the
> canyon about a half mile from where the trail crosses the river into
> sequoia national park, and then back down again.  It landed in a little
> grassy area a hundred yards or so from the ranger hut, idled for five
> minutes as stuff was unloaded, and then it took off again.
>
> They couldn't have done this if the landing zone had been 100 yards
> across the river in the national forest.  I guess it's cheaper than
> putting ranger stuff on mules and hoofing it the six miles up from the
> trailhead?

In 2002 we were hiking the Bishop Pass Trail (SEKI) with our llamas.  A
trail crew was doing major trail and bridge reconstruction.  They had a
pile of creosote soaked bridge timbers from the old bridge they had
removed.  We watched as they loaded these into a steel cargo net.  Then
a helicopter came and hovered, the net was attached, and the helicopter
flew off with the load.  They explained to us that the timbers could not
be left there because of the creosote, and that it was cheaper to use
the helicopter than to use a stock train.  The ranger maintained that
eventually they would not be using stock support at all, as the cost
kept  going up and they could only be used in summer, while they were
using helicopters for multiple uses year-round and the cost of that was
stable.

However, we have encountered several forest service and NPS service
stock trains that are traveling the backcountry specifically to service
the needs of backcountry trail crews.  One such packer was set up for
the summer at Simpson Meadow in SEKI, providing support to three trail
crews located further out from Kings Canyon.
We have often seen helicopters used in case of backcountry fire or
evacuation of injured visitors, as well, in both SEKI and Yosemite.  Our
llamas aren't the least bit bothered by helicopters in very close
proximity, thank goodness.
Marion