[pct-l] What size backpack?

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Sat May 9 19:17:26 CDT 2009

Paul Cronshaw wrote:
> Size of your pack depends on how much stuff you carry. The less and more compact your stuff, the smaller the pack size.
> The Bora 80 is approx 7 lbs and 4500+ cuin. With a pack this size, the tendency is to carry to much stuff.
> I would recommend a 3500-2500 cuin pack size.

I'm coming back from a couple days away from the computer and deleted a
couple hundred messages so pardon me if this has been mentioned.  The
size of your pack DOES NOT depend on how much stuff you carry.  I carry
a 4500 cu in pack that weighs 20 oz.  It is always the same size as I
don't stuff my sleeping quilt - never have, and never will.  It is more
compressed with six days food, but never stuffed.  My base weight is
about 12 pounds which includes a book.

It's all about the system you've worked out over time.

Jeffrey Olson
Martin, SD