[pct-l] What size backpack?

Paul Cronshaw beemancron at hotmail.com
Sat May 9 15:55:53 CDT 2009

Size of your pack depends on how much stuff you carry. The less and more compact your stuff, the smaller the pack size.

The Bora 80 is approx 7 lbs and 4500+ cuin. With a pack this size, the tendency is to carry to much stuff.

I would recommend a 3500-2500 cuin pack size.

Several companies demonstrated their packs at this years KO:

1. Gossamer Gear:  Mariposa Plus or Gorilla
(FWIW The Gorilla will be the pack of choice for my PCT section hikes this year).
2. ULA-Equipment: Circuit or Conduit
3. Six Moons Design:  Starlite

(Note the prices of these packs as compared to the Bora).

At the KO, I talked to a lot of hikers who started from the border with a large pack.  Upon arriving in Lake Morena, they quickly figured out that getting a smaller pack would make the trip more doable and enjoyable.

Read Lenny’s Trail Journal: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=8791

He did a shakedown hike with me in the Los Padres National Forest, and quickly learned that going lighter was the key to his PCT trip.

Warner Springs Monty's saying says it all:  "The fun goes up when the weight goes down".

Happy Trails

Paul “The Beeman” CronshawPhotos: http://picasaweb.google.com/beemancron

--Forwarded Message Attachment--