[pct-l] A thought on so called impassable snow

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Wed May 6 12:36:14 CDT 2009

In addition to markv's good point below about the huge difference a few days make, I'd add:

One person's "impassable" may be merely a welcome challenge for you - fodder for good story telling over beers sitting in Manning Park in September.

Go see for yourself.  Go judge for yourself.  This is especially so when you're hearing 'impassible' from a non-thru hiker.  Their standards of impassable are.....well, often times quite different from the typical thru hikers standard of 'impassable'.  Even within the thru hiker crowd, there's a full spectrum of standards on 'impassable'.  If you don't like what you see, certainly turn back, but decide for yourself.

Approaching Chicken Spring Lake a few days out of KM, we heard "endless snow - it's impassable" 2nd hand from fellow thrus.  Once we climbed over a 10' high drift just above the lake, we dropped onto dry trail.  The real snow didn't start until near Forrester many, many, many miles later.