[pct-l] ham radio?

AsABat AsABat at 4Jeffrey.Net
Tue May 5 07:47:32 CDT 2009

> My question for the community is, will a HAM radio accomplish the
same?

To some extent. I carry one on most of my trips.

There are two general types of ham radio for this purpose. One is a VHF
(or UHF) handheld radio, weighing about 8 ounces. At these frequencies,
you would use amateur repeaters located on mountain tops. In the Sierra,
for example, these repeaters are located east and west of the ridge, for
example, on the east side of Owens Valley or down in the Central Valley.
Therefore, in north-south canyons coverage would be difficult. However,
I have used them several times because of a change in plans, including
at Lower Palisade Lakes in a high snow year.

The second type is an HF radio (like shortwave). Normally this equipment
would be larger, but low-power versions can be just as light as the
handhelds. Antennas at this frequency are much longer, typically a
certain length of wire strung between two trees. I haven't used these in
the backcountry, but several (including a couple that have been on this
list in the past) have. You have a better chance of being able to reach
someone from almost anywhere, but no guarantee who that person will be
or where they will be located. From home, I once made a phone call from
a hiker in the Emigrant Wilderness - they usually don't work well for
short distances, in this case we were about 400 miles apart.

I have some information on ham radio on the PCT at
www.qsl.net/aa6j/pct .

AsABat
AA6J