[pct-l] Onyx/Kernville

jimniedbalski at aol.com jimniedbalski at aol.com
Mon May 4 21:56:11 CDT 2009

? As an alternative/addition?to Onyx,?you can take the Kern bus to Kernville from Lake Isabella?(I don't?remember if the bus goes from Onyx to Kernville without going to Lake Isabella first. I hitched to Lake Isabella and then took the bus to Kernville.?Or you can hitch directly to Kernville from Walker Pass, via the road from Weldon - about halfway between Walker Pass and Lake Isabella.) Kernville is?a?nice little rafting town right on the Kern River, and it's much cooler than the broiling Lake Isabella. Visiting Kernville might not be appropriate for thrus given the time it would take to get there and back, and the fact that lodging is a bit pricey, but section hikers might consider it.?Or it could be just a long day trip into Kernville from Walker Pass and you can catch the last bus back to Onyx. Plenty of restaurants, PO, laundry, grocery, brew pub. Plus you can do a raft or float trip on the Kern if you want.
??I agree with an earlier post that the Kern Motel in Lake Isabella is awful - so bad that I paid for the room, showered, got disgusted and left it to go to Kernville for the night!
Jim???