[pct-l] alternatives to a tent?

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon May 4 13:25:49 CDT 2009

On May 4, 2009, at 10:55 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> What do you no-tent-carrying individuals use when you do use
> something cause you know it's gonna rain or you don't want to get
> eaten by mosquitoes?

You can always carry the tent and simply not set it up.

My plan is to begin my hike with a rain poncho and a free-standing
bug net (A16 bug bivy). I don't have to set up the poncho as a
shelter if I don't want to. I also have a bivy sack for extra rain
protection and have found it useful when it's cold or windy (sand
blown in the face), too.

In mosquito-prone locales I intend to bring my tent and the bug bivy.
That way if I don't want to set up the tent I can still have
protection from mosquitos. I like the bug bivy over a lighter head-
net because I often sleep with my hands or arms exposed. I like the
tent because I can have spacious refuge for my entire self from the
bloodsuckers (and be able to sit upright).

I've heard of people using just a rain fly. I have never owned a tent
with a rain fly so I have no idea how that works. Sounds like you
have a good, cheap, home-grown set-up that you'll enjoy. Have you
tried setting up the mosquito net enclosure under the fly? I
attempted all kinds of set-ups with a mosquito net enclosure that I
own under my poncho with no success.