[pct-l] Homemade gear

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun May 3 20:14:38 CDT 2009

So, I'm starting to feel more and more like a real hobo. With just 3
weeks left until I set out, I can't wait to get out there.

So far I have made
-a pot lid (to replace the heavy one the pot came with)
-an alcohol stove (I'm so proud)
-windscreen
-bowl (from a yogurt container)
-camelback tube with film canister hygienic cover
-a fleece balaclava (if only I had a sewing machine and scissors that
actually could cut fleece, but it came out great anyway)
-a franken-pad made of half a z-rest and part of a blue-foam pad.
They velcro together. Apart I can store the z-rest outside my pack
for happy resting on the trail
-tarp guy lines out of venetian blind cord. Even though my tarp isn't
homemade, it feels like I'm making my own tent every time I set it up
(I have a tent, too, but will start out with just the tarp and see
how far that gets me)
-2 hip belt pouches for carrying guide book pages, snacks and extra
water (to get it off my shoulders)

In addition to making my own stuff, much of my stuff is second-hand
and recycled. It's possible to go cheap and light and do it with
absolutely no style.

Happy hiking. Can't wait to meet you on the trail in 3 weeks. If
you've got any good ideas for home-made, second-hand and recycled
gear, let me know. I'm really getting into this.