[pct-l] Ibupurofen, was knees

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Fri May 1 16:08:34 CDT 2009

Scott Bryce wrote:

According to Wikipedia, Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory drug.

Ibuprofen is a NSAID drug, in the same class as aspirin and naproxen.  It
reduces inflammation but also has analgesic (painkilling) properties.

I'm not a doctor but I generally subscribe to Neil's philosophy - I try not
to use Ibuprofen during the day on a long-distance hike unless absolutely
necessary because it may mask warning symptoms that my body is trying to use
to send me a message.  If my body hurts enough for me to want to do
something about it, it's because I'm doing damage to it.  When I do take
Ibuprofen during the day, wow it makes a huge difference!  I can go from a
virtual cripple to cranking right along again.  But I'm pretty sure that's
actually not a good thing, at least not on a regular basis.

I often take Ibuprofen before crawling into my sleeping bag at night on the
theory that my body can better repair itself if the inflammation is reduced
while I sleep.

Eric