[pct-l] How Strider Gets His Kicks These Days!

bighummel at aol.com bighummel at aol.com
Wed May 30 18:11:44 CDT 2007

Yep, I'm out in the field in central California again.  The weather is cool, breezy and the hills, oaks, flora and fauna of this area continues to inspire me.  Yesterday;

 . . . walking down a steeply eroded, oak and manzanita lined, canyon in overcast skies . . . large shadows sweep my path every few minutes as the raptors (turkey vultures and red tailed hawks) follow me, apparently thinking I move too slow to be in good health and maybe, just maybe, I'll stop, fall down and die and they can move in for the easy pickings!

 . . . a roadrunner, a coyote and a 6 point buck at a water hole on this mostly dry hill.  The road runner more interested in the bugs in the grass than me.  The coyote and the buck scatter at my aproach.

. . . a massive old oak tree draped in light green Spanish moss flowing in the breeze and looking like something out of a halloween story.

Ah, to be a geologist and to get paid to be outside!!!!  Life is good.

Greg "Strider" Hummel