[pct-l] LA to Walker Pass

jimniedbalski at aol.com jimniedbalski at aol.com
Tue May 15 12:51:18 CDT 2007

Last summer I took the Kern Valley transit from Kernville to Onyx, and I was told that's as far east as the bus goes. From Onyx, which has a small store and a PO, it's a relatively short (10-15 miles) hitch to Walker Pass, and plenty of traffic. I imagine there's a way to get to Onyx from Bakersfield/Lake Isabella on the bus without having to go to Kernville. By the way, Kernville is a MUCH better place for a zero day than Lake Isabella - it's a bit touristy and lodging is a little expensive by hiker standards but it's compact, friendly, full resupply and the Kern River runs right through town for swimming, boating, etc.
Jim