[pct-l] Mojave Report
asabat at cox.net
Thu May 10 19:44:06 CDT 2007
Forwarded at Trekker Bob's request:
Subject: WED 9 MAY 07-MOJAVE REPORT
3. MOJAVE: On Yogi's map (not on old PCT Town Guide map), I recommend the Best Motel, older place, $34, abt 6 blks fm PO, abt 2 blks fm Mike's Roadhouse Diner & laundry, for 1 pers a very good CA price, for 2 pers a real bargain, room certainly decent.
4. MOJAVE: There IS a Dial-a-Ride service @ 800-323-2396; not immediate service, but a damn good price ($1 from Best Motel to PO & return - tip the driver!)
5. White's Motel (now a Day's Inn) came down from $70 to $60 over the phone, but way too high for 1 pers; also offered to come get me, at least at the N end of town (just was in no hurry to finish that omlette @ Denny's, & wasn't going to stay there anthow). I'm not sure if they offer rides to & fm the trail.
6. Motel 6, by Stater Bros groc had $43 on sign; didn't talk to them, as way too far from PO for me (1.1 mi in Yogi's tome).
7. Took an hr to hitch off Cameron Rd interchange on CA-58; bad time of day, 0700, sun in driver's eyes made it hard to see me or my Mojave sign, everyone rushing to work, but was tactical decision to hike on past Tehatchapi-Willow Springs Rd. It reduces by about 10 mi the distance I'll have to hike out of here past the possibly dead Golden Oaks Spring to the next questionable spring, staggering under 10 dys of food & 2.5-3 gl h2o.
More information about the Pct-L