[pct-l] JMT record??

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Tue Sep 26 20:07:35 CDT 2006

I remember at the tender age of 19 beginning a JMT hike in June of
1971.  I met a fellow wearing running shorts and sleeveless shirt, what
then passed for running shoes, and a Golite Dawn sized daypack.  He was
reluctant to stop and talk, but took a minute or so to say that he was
running the Muir trail, that he was going to do it in four or five days
(my memory is poor), and that he was on schedule.  He'd left Whitney
Portal and done what took me three days 10 hours, and was going strong.
The look in his eye had nothing to do with enjoying the backcountry, and
everything about some personal, inner goal and the drive to achieve it.

I was in awe, but quickly forgot about him as I continued to miss my
newfound sweetheart and found hiking alone terribly difficult - being in
love as I was...

Ahhh...  The stories....

Jeff, just Jeff...