[pct-l] Ice axe

Rebecca Mezoff rlmezoff at cybermesa.com
Thu Sep 21 19:26:02 CDT 2006

I don't necessarily mean to prolong a subject that I'm sure has been
covered in detail before, but I'm a newbie and am planning on hiking
the trail in 2007.  Buying an ice axe doesn't seem like the problem--
learning how to use it does.  Since I live in New Mexico, I'm pretty
sure I couldn't even buy an axe here much less find a course to train
me in it's use.  Can anyone suggest a good course or organization
that offers courses where I might get practice with the axe and some
other basic snow mountaineering training?  I do have a friend in
Seattle who would love it if I visited, so if there was something
near there that was 1-3 days, I would certainly consider it....
otherwise maybe somewhere in Colorado?
Thanks!
Rebecca the mesa-hiker